The cutting continues

Tags: writing, editing

Just 2 days ago I finally made my new cutting goal--under 90K. This is what a veteran literary agent told me was the upper end of the sweet spot for debut YA fantasy.

So now it's back to submissions, not that I may not cut more here and there, but now at least it doesn't feel like it's as necessary. I'm amazed now to see what is possible after applying what I wrote about in Cutting Tools. Months ago I probably wouldn't have believed I could cut 121K to 90K without completely butchering my book. But not only did I cut it, in most respects I improved it: tighter writing, removing unnecessary subplots, etc. Only in one or two cases did I remove something that really appealed to me, but might have been looked upon as unnecessary to agents and editors.

No Comments

Add a Comment